Working in the UK

uk-employmentSince the mid- nineties, the UK economy and labor market have experienced a very important development compared to many other European countries.

The people and their country

UK unemployment rate is around 5%. Conditions are particularly favorable in the service industry, the health sector like health supplement promo codes, fitness industry, banks and insurance companies as well as the branch of information technology and telecommunications. If English is not your first language, you will find good opportunities in call centers. However, a thorough knowledge of English is required in all industry sectors.

In the UK, employees usually go for a drink with colleagues after work. It is not like to pays for your own glass as everybody offers tours to turn. Social life and teamwork are very important in the UK.  It’s the same good manners – whose rule is that foreigners refrain from telling jokes about the British. They have a sense of humor, of course, but they prefer that their compatriots tease them. Colleagues and superiors are called by their first name and social relations are polite but informal .

The cost of living is higher in the UK , especially in London, as in many other European countries.

EU citizens

Nationals of EU Member States are authorized to exercise any professional activity in the UK without suffering discrimination in relation to UK residents. No visa, no residence permit or work is necessary ( except on the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) . EU citizens do not need to register with the police.

People who spend more than 6 months in the UK can apply for a residence permit in order to be able to prove their place of residence. However, this is not mandatory.

Nationals of countries outside the EU entering the UK in order to live or work there need an entry visa. They must also have a work permit and a residence permit. Nationals of some countries (USA, Commonwealth ) does not need an entry visa but a work permit and a residence permit.

Nationals of non-EU countries which are more than 6 months in the UK need a residence permit. If they are able to support themselves without recourse to state funds, welfare for example, they are entitled to a residence permit for six months. Nationals of certain countries must also register with the local police.

Tourists are not allowed to accept a job in the United Kingdom. If a job seeker obtains a work permit, he also receives a limited residence permit. The expiry of the residence permit follows the work permit. The latter has a maximum duration of 4 years. After this period, the worker usually receives a permanent residence permit (permanent establishment).

To receive this license, you must be able to justify a permanent residence in the United Kingdom during the 4 years (up to nine months per year).

The employer must apply for a residence permit for non-EU nationals. The work permit is valid only for a very specific job. If the contract of employment changes in any manner whatsoever, the work permit expires automatically. Work permits are issued by the Overseas Labour Service (OLS ), the Agency for employment of foreigners, a sub- section of the Department for Education and Skills. Although industry representatives consider that the OLS is good for the economy, the law requires it to comply with a policy of protectionism. If an EU citizen can occupy a position offered to a non-EU national, OLS will not issue a work permit to the latter.

Initially, this regulation was intended to prevent cheap labor from entering Europe. Today however, these laws prevent access to skilled European labor markets workers. However as the UK is suffering, like many other EU Member States, a severe shortage of computer scientists, OLS regularly issues permits for work in this sector. Anyway , it can take up to six months between the submission of the application for a work permit and obtaining it.

All work permits expire after a maximum of 4 years. After this period, you will get a permanent residence permit which also serves a work permit .

Labor legislation in the United Kingdom

Any professional activity is subject to social insurance and you must register with the local department of social security, which will deliver a social insurance number. You must give this number to your employer, who will be responsible for all subsequent procedures.

People whose income is less than ₤ 75 per week are exempt from social insurance contributions. All other employees are required to pay 10 % of their salary if it does not exceed ₤ 585. In the UK , the self-employed must also contribute to social insurance.

The UK has a system of national health care . Most medical treatments are free for residents of the United Kingdom as well as tourists . You must register as a patient to the local health center and with a GP. You must specify the doctor that you are insured with the system national health care and you are not covered by private insurance because many doctors also offer private services. Drugs, dentures and glasses are charged. The UK Department of Health provides regularly updated information on the amount.

In the UK , all employees pay taxes. However, there are agreements with most European countries to avoid double taxation. Your income is taxed in three standard tax rate of 10%, 22% and 40 %, depending on your income (less income exempt from taxation).

In all major cities, job centres and public employment centers, the national employment service is there to help you find a job. In addition, many private recruitment agencies and consultants offer personal service job search and human resources.

Another fairly simple way to find a job in the UK is to peel the newspaper classifieds and recruitment sites. National newspapers such as The Guardian, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Times and The Financial Times publishes many lists of job opportunities, particularly for specialized positions or functions of management. You can also find deals on management roles in The Economist.

Most applications do not contain a cover letter and a resume. It must be written in a simple style and start with the most recent data ( reverse chronological order). You can send certificates and diplomas, but they should be translated into English. Also, your school and university results should be translated and converted in the British system. Most CV also indicate the name of reference persons. Make sure these people are available and they can talk about you in glowing terms. Usually applications are not accompanied by a photograph. Most companies require you to complete an application form before inviting you for an interview .